The St Vincent Botanic Gardens are located in Kingstown, the capital city of St Vincent and the Grenadines. it is one of St Vincent main tourist attraction and venue for weddings, photographing, family celebrations, dating, studying and other special events. The St Vincent Botanic Gardens were established in 1765 by General Robert Melville, then Governor of the Windward Islands. At that time they were administered by the British War Office. The foundation was as a garden for “the cultivation and improvement of many plants now growing wild and the importation of others from similar climates” which “would be of great use to the public and vastly improve the resources of the island.
Occupying 20 acres, The St Vincent Botanic Gardens are home to a wealth of tropical plants, flowers, trees and birds. The Nicholas Wildlife Aviary Complex, located within the Gardens, maintains a captive breeding program to conserve the vulnerable St Vincent Parrot, “Amazona guildingii”, the National Bird of St Vincent and the Grenadines. Among the wide variety of tropical trees and shrubs is a third generation breadfruit tree, a sucker from the original plant brought by Captain William Bligh in 1793. In 1787-88 Captain Bligh made his ill-fated voyage on the Bounty to Tahiti to collect breadfruit and other useful plants for the West Indies.
Read more from sourcePlease share Vincy Lifestyle with your friends on Social media